Ready for your big move? Whether you’re heading across town or across the country, there’s a lot that goes into moving. Our moving timeline can help you organize your next move, giving you peace of mind. At My Town Movers, we’ve helped countless customers travel millions of miles. Our advice? Work your way through this moving timeline and on moving day, you’ll be good to go.
8-10 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Get a quote for your move from My Town Movers or your local moving serivce.
- Start collecting or ordering boxes. If you’re using My Town Movers, we can schedule a full-service move, including packing services.
6-8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Collect all important records and either have them transferred to your new contacts/providers, or pack them up and take them with you. This includes:
- Medical, dental and vet records
- School records for any children currently enrolled
- Check with your insurance providers and see if any policy changes need to happen.
- Start organizing your stuff. Anything that can be donated or tossed should be taken away now. This will make packing, and moving, much easier.
- Cancel any memberships or paid subscriptions that won’t transfer post-move, such as gym memberships, parking permits, and local affiliations.
4-6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Pack items you won’t need between now and the move. Seasonal items, holiday decorations, and other less-frequently used pieces are a good start.
- File change of address forms with your local post office. This can be done online or in person.
- Turn on utilities at your new address. If you’re buying your new home, you should have everything switched on or over to your name on your closing date. Common utilities include:
- Trash pickup/Recycling
2-4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Confirm start dates for utilities and other services, including:
- Confirm change of address for credit cards, cell phones, magazine subscriptions, alumni associations, insurance companies, and service providers (schools, doctors, accountants, attorneys, etc.)
1-2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Confirm all details with your movers or My Town moving consultant.
- Pack a “first day” box with items you’ll need for the few day or two post-move. If your items will be arriving even later, be sure to pack enough for those additional days plus extras.
- Send change of address cards to friends and family members.
- Notify your employer of your change of address, whether or not you’ll continue working there post-move.
2-3 Days Before Moving Day
- Fill prescriptions.
- Clean your new home, or if you’re coming from a distance, hire a cleaning service to assist. This will ensure your home is move-in ready when you arrive.
- Finish packing, and be sure to label every box with the contents and what room it belongs in.
- If you’re driving, be sure to fill up on gas.
- Be sure you have updated contact information for your movers.
- Get cash for any last-minute purchases you may need while on the road or immediately post-move.
- Do a last-minute check of all closets, storage spaces, attics, sheds, and garages to make sure you aren’t leaving anything behind.
- Update your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and car insurance with your new address.
- Register to vote in your new town/city.